Monday 10 October 2011

New beginnings

October 8th 2011 may not be remembered for any startling world events, sporting achievements or even celebrity weddings (Paul McCartney's third nuptials aside), but it did mark a very different Saturday for me.

Having ignored the previous evening's England match, I didn't seek out highlights or even reach for the papers for a match report of Wayne Rooney's latest debacle. Instead I sat myself down on the sofa and watched my first ever NHL game. But hold on a minute, I'm probably getting ahead of myself here - so here's some background on how I ended up snubbing our 'national game' for a sport I know very little about that takes place in a country that's thousands of miles away...

I've long been a football fan, or soccer to those of you reading on the other side of the Atlantic, but in recent years my love of the game has dwindled. With every passing year the Premier League becomes less about fans and community and more about money, money, money. As a Portsmouth fan I've seen how that can make and break a club and I've also seen that there's no way to success without massive overspending.

I have watched Portsmouth home and away more times than I'd like to admit over the last 10/15 years and I've steadily witnessed players becoming more and more disassociated with the clubs they represent. It's hardly surprising, how can the man on the street possibly relate to a teenager or young twenty-something earning £200,000 a week, especially when it costs £38 a time to go and watch them play. On top of that there is an extremely rich vein of corruption running through the game right to the top of the 'brains' that are supposed to be running it.

The prospect of watching another Premier League season contested between the three richest teams just did not appeal and with Portsmouth languishing back in the second tier I reached breaking point.

So I looked for something different - rugby has never interested me and cricket is out of season. That led me to look at American sports, I know little of any and any knowledge I do have is largely based on playing computer games. NFL has never really appealed and while I enjoyed a SF Giants game on a recent trip to California it just went on too long to be a realistic sport that I could watch regularly. That left basketball or ice hockey - there could be only one choice.

For some reason I've always liked the idea of following the NHL. I haven't watched an awful lot in the past other than the odd fight video on YouTube, but something drew me to it. I've got a basic understanding of the rules having played a lot of the demo of NHL '99 on a very old PC at a friend's house. I also like the speed of the game and of course the physical side which we don't see in too many sports over here.

Having chosen my sport I made the conscious decision to pick a team before the season started. Seeing as I won't be getting to any games in the flesh I figured it'd be easiest to pick one team to follow. I looked at the Washington Capitals and the Detroit Red Wings (the two teams that appeared in that NHL '99 demo), but the Capitals just weren't right and the Red Wings have way too much red in their kit for a Portsmouth fan to get behind. I eventually narrowed it down to the two cities that I've visited in North America that have franchises, the Vancouver Canucks or the LA Kings. From there it was an easy choice, I didn't particularly like LA while Vancouver remains one of the nicest cities I've been to. That and my brother lived there for a time so that gave it some extra pull.

So armed with my laptop and Wikipedia I settled down for the season opener against the Penguins and it was something of a solid start to my new found fandom. Despite being behind for much of the match the Canucks pulled out a 3-3 draw, going down in a shootout but still notching their first point of the season. I'm well aware that there are many terms and statistics I'm yet to get my head round but until now I'd never watched a match from beginning to end - it's a start!

So there you have it, I'm going to try and record my views on the season on this blog and through twitter and perhaps this disillusioned sports fan can find new love for a team who play their home games some 4,500 miles away.

Go Canucks!

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome, I will be reading regularly.
    I'm a kiwi who fell in love with hockey in January, and so have probably followed a similar path to you in getting to know the NHL. Hopefully we can have some conversations about our early experiences.

    I for one am an absolute hockey addict.

    I follow the Leafs, Pens and Ducks in that order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found the sport.
    I can't fault your conclusion of coming to the 'Nucks. As a person should really have some sort of personal connection to the team they support, but as a Chicagoan and a Blackhawks fan, that makes us mortal enemies (but I will fault NO ONE who really loves hockey. It's the best sport I've found.).

    I really can't wait to read this blog come playoff time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve - thanks for the offer, I need all the help
    I can get!

    TangentMechanic - I've read about the Blackhawks rivalry, looking forward to finding out more about it. Does it stem from anything in particular?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to comment on absolutely everything. There are about 4 hockey fans in New Zealand so I'm crazed for puck talk.

    The Nucks v Hawks rivalry is one of the more recent ones.

    See the section on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League_rivalries#Western_Conference

    The most recent incarnation was this years' first playoff round. The President's trophy winning Canucks played the 8th-seed, just-scraped-in, defending-champs Blackhawks. Canucks won Games 1-3, but couldn't seal the deal in Games 4-6 (a theme you'll see repeated), leading to a loser-plays-golf Game 7. Jonathan Toews (very young Blackhawk superstar captain) scored the game tying goal with 2 minutes left in regulation, sending it to sudden-death overtime. The series winner was scored by Alex Burrows (#14) (who I THINK many people thought should have been suspended that game for something... another repeating theme) @5:11/OT. Most memorable was the call of "ITS A GREAT DAY FOR AN EXORCISM." See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmoqnNkUbAk .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It mostly stems from the fact that the Nucks and the Hawks have met 3 consecutive times in the postseason. The first 2 had the Hawks eliminating the Canucks from contention. This last time was supposed to be an opportunity for the Canucks to overcome their playoff demons by finally beating Chicago. They did, but only after the Canucks gave up a 3-0 series lead to win in overtime on Game 7. It was almost a HUGE meltdown.

    Then there's the Alex Burrows hair pulling incident, and it doesn't help that the Canucks' new minor league affiliate is the Chicago Wolves (or as I like to call them: The Rosemont Riot)

    Here's a great top ten video of the rivalry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9tGGCnxnY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks - great vid that too. Looking forward to the first clash of the season!

    ReplyDelete